Thursday, June 10, 2010

Good Times Ahead

The June 8th election is over and although I am disappointed in the outcome, I am energized and excited about the potential for some exciting times ahead for me and for the City that I love so much. I believe that the people of Long Beach are ready to address the real challenges ahead with creativity, compassion and a sense of purpose. Although many of us have been through some tough economic times, it is in these tough times that the most change is made. I stand ready to work by your side to bring us all back to greatness.
My last council meeting is July 13 however I will be available to my constituents until July 19th. Thank you for a wonderful ride and don't forget that every vote counts, every action matters and one person can make a difference.
I will be updating you on what I feel are issues we all need to know about and perhaps learn a thing or two from my colleague Gerrie about blogging and some pointers from LBReport and Dave Wielenga about writing the truth about the city in a way that motivates and informs. Thanks for the good times but the best is yet to come!

3 comments:

  1. You have served the residents of Long Beach well, and we look forward to new opportunities for you and for the city. I hope to read more from you and I hope that you can perhaps join our community group in the future. More strong, passionate, and creative leaders are always needed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Jeannine,

    Your note is about as compelling as a
    Press-Release.

    You REALLY needn't be so careful! Well, unless you're a Government-official who's afraid of offending someone and losing your job.

    I am, (now) a Tonia fan. Too bad she didn't have an uncensored blog and make
    strong-statements when she was in office. I would REALLY like to interview Tonia now!

    Hey Tonia, if you're interested, call me.

    www.longbeachpolitics.homestead.com

    Joe Mack

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree the Council is looking much less like their constituents. Too many Society-people. Here's my rant on one of it's most famous!

    To me, Bev O' Neill is the epitome of a society-lady/politician.

    One who hears the moans and groans of her constituents, and with a frozen-smile offers up an encouraging word that soothes all wounds and concerns.

    Of course it doesn't-not really...

    And yet, with hope in short-supply for so many, folks grab it like a life-preserver.

    Such behavior is to be expected from Society ladies. But, when they've got people's lives and well being in their hands, then I think the pandering is despicable.

    Oscar Wilde remarked, "In polite-society everyone holds the exact same opinions."

    Most of us,(me included) wish we were hob-nodding with the blue-bloods. Thus, loathe to criticize those who have grasped the brass-ring.

    Bev clawed her way to a house on the (3rd district) hill. Her early unfortunate-beginnings probably fueled her.

    That her constituents welfare and very lives have been the price seems of small consideration.

    Her story would only be compelling (to me) if she had used her ambition for good.

    But, she is a Society-Lady/Politician, NOT a Saint, after all...

    ReplyDelete